These muffins were inspired by the former coffee shop/bakery that I was a baker for; Scout Coffee in San Luis Obispo. If you ever find yourself in little SLO, do yourself a favor and stop by. The owners, as well as the staff are incredible. The atmosphere, coffee, and treats are the perfect way to experience what great things the town has to offer.
I love these muffins for their healthy nature; slightly sweetened by maple syrup, and a wonderful accompaniment to my morning coffee or tea.
Ingredients: (yield 12 muffins)
1 cup Organic All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup millet
2 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 Tbsp. ground flax meal
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup safflower oil
3/4 cup non-dairy yogurt ( I used The Coconut Cult original)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots
- optional 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all dry ingredients into medium sized bowl: All Purpose Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, millet, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pink Himalayan salt. Whisk well to combine dry.
- *Omit Flax and in a separate bowl, add flax to small bowl along with almond milk (stir and let flax mixture sit for 5 minutes)
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients: maple syrup, safflower oil, non-dairy yogurt, almond milk, and vanilla. Add flax/almond milk mixture and whisk until throughly combined.
- Create a well, and add wet to center. Fold dry into wet until lightly incorporated. Then fold grated carrots into mixture but do not over mix.
- Line a muffin tray with liners. Divide muffin mix into 12 muffin liners. Bake for 11 minutes at 350, then rotate and bake an additional 11 minutes at 350 or until center comes out clean.