My family and I have been gorging ourselves on fresh peaches and blackberries. There is such an abundant supply that we can’t keep up. These lemon-thyme & blackberry muffins were one of the more recent experiments I concocted. yield: 12 muffins.
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup organic cane sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract (Edwin & Lesha)
1/2 cup earth balance, melted
13 oz. blackberries
1 heaping Tbsp. of flax meal
1/2 cup plain coconut yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice (buttermilk)
2 Tbsp. of lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme
6 Tbsp. unbleached all purpose flour
3 Tbsp. earth balance, melted
4 Tbsp. organic brown sugar
2 Tbsp. rolled oats
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. almond milk.
1. Preheat oven to 350. Wash berries and set aside. In a bowl, use 1/4 cup of flour and pour gently over blackberries to coat.
2. With remaining flour, add sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together flax meal, melted earth balance, and vanilla. Add buttermilk (almond milk and lemon juice), along with coconut yogurt. Add fresh squeezed lemon juice, and zest.
3. Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Fold in blackberries last.
4. Grease a muffin pan. Prepare your crumble topping by combining melted butter with all dry ingredients. With a fork or pastry cutter, make sure no large chunks remain.
5. Fill your muffin tin all the way to the top and place 1 Tbsp. of crumble on each muffin.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow muffins to cool completely before adding glaze. For the glaze, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and almond milk and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
***** For my gluten free readers, use the Bob’s Red Meal GLUTEN FREE all purpose flour instead the unbleached all purpose